Sunday, September 28, 2008

Vinyan Watch -- Opening Sequence

Photobucket

In addition to my now-ongoing Quarantine and Martyrs watch(s), I'm throwing a third anticipated flick into the shuffle on this here site.

Vinyan, a flick I've mentioned a couple times already here, mostly in passing, but now I'm focusing on it more, because all of the post-festival reactions I've been reading about it have really made my thoughts stand at attention. It's the work of a filmmaker from Belgium, named Fabrice Du Welz, a fella who seems to possess penchant for weird and abstract horror.

And of course, abstract films are some of my favorites, so naturally Du Welz ranks high on my always-keep-a-close-eye-on list. His debut, 2004's Calvaire, was one of my first "Netflix Fix" postings, and having re-read what I wrote, I've realized that my thoughts then bounced back-and-forth between mesmerizingly positive and head-scratchingly negative. But Calvaire is a film that really hasn't left my thoughts since I watched it over a month ago. And it's resting atop my checklist of DVDs to buy with the quickness. Just an insanely off-putting and unconventional little film, with no clear-cut plot or true point, but one that I'm sure I'll re-watching time and time again, if only to sink my brain deep into its surreality. That spells "fun" for me, what can I say?

Vinyan, now, is Du Welz' second full-length, and it's basically about this married couple who have recently lost their grade-school-aged son in a tsunami. While on vacation in some rather-scenic locale, the wife sees a little boy in some sort of tourist video that she swears is their deceased lad, so in a fit of hysteria, she and her hubby travel to a Thai-Burmese watered-area to search for the kid in the video. But, of course, shit hits the fan when the shady locals start to take advantage of the American tourists, and then this tribal clan of murderous children enters the picture. And tribal clans of murderous children can never be good, really.

Vinyan is said to be directly influenced by a pair of old chiller gems: Don't Look Now, which I own on DVD and love, and Who Can Kill A Child?, which is only two rentals away in my the 'Flix queue. I'm all about doing my cinematic homework, thoroughly, peoples.

From what I've read, Vinyan devolves into some truly tough-to-watch disturbia once the tribal tykes hit the lens. Specifically concerning the wife character, and some "unbelievable" shit she experiences. Boy, oh boy....I can not wait to see how it all goes down!!

Not sure when it'll be released here, but I do now that an American distribution company, which I can't recall at this very moment, picked it up for a limited capacity run at some point. Probably in early '09, if I had to guess.

But for now, the great international cinema site Twitch Film linked to a site that has Vinyan's opening sequence posted, and it's a doozy. Doesn't show anything, really, and I'm sure I'm one of the few who'd even be enthralled by this sequence, since its all mood, sound, and atmosphere. Nothing more, nothing less. But for me, atmosphere is always a ginormous factor.

Make sure your speakers are turned on and crispy-clear:







No comments: