Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fat stacks/Thin people

No wonder this country is full of so many obese people....its fucking expensive to eat healthy.

And, I wonder, why is this so? This morning, all I wanted was to sip on some nice, cold, refreshing cow juice, and being the health conscious dude I (unfortunately for my taste buds) am, I opted for a delish bottle of vanilla Silk, or soy milk for those who don't pay attention to catchy brand names. Grabbed one, feeling pretty good about myself for moving my sticky fingers past the Nesquik 'Vanilla Shake' option and going for the organic white stuff. Waltz up to the register, proud. Hand over my smart-guy choice. And the lady who'll in mere seconds bend me over, says: "That'll be $3.00 sir."

Three fucking dollars for a bottle milk the size that's smaller than a 20 oz. bottle of soda?! Are you fucking kidding me? Stunned and angered, I ask, "Well, how much would the Nesquik have been, then? Just curious." "That'd be $2.00, sir."

Yes, the fat-filled, chunky-monkey-special Nesqui is less money than a healthy serving of soy milk. I bought the damn soy milk, of course, but still walked to work feeling like my was sore from a raping. First class, grade-A sodomy at the hands of corporate red, white, and blue. As I sat by my desk, sipping on my overpriced drank, I started thinking---You know what? Come to think of it, any time I choose the 'health food diet items' when I order Chinese takeout, the meals are at least $3 more than the fried, carb-centric regular options, huh?

So I present this question: why? Why aren't companies forced to encourage health, rather than discourage through higher prices. Especially in this current economic hell ride. Just look at the Mickey D's dollar menu, for instance. You can leave having only spent four beans and have a full-on platter, but one that's a fast-track to poor health. Order one of their shitty salads, though, and you're dropping a good six bills, minimum. Fuck is that about?

I've heard that old bullshit about "oh, but steaming food is more work, and cost more money" or some dreck. "Organic products are pricier to stock," or some nonsensical jargon. Such logic and $0.25 will get me a gumball, and nothing more.

I want to be healthy, so why should I have to pay more in the process? Isn't "being healthy" important in the grand scheme? Apparently not, because the only thing that's losing weight steadily seems to be my f'n wallet.

No comments: