Sunday, November 23, 2008

Black Dynamite, proving me wrong....

I interviewed the dude Michael Jai White for The Dark Knight (he played Gamble....fella who's minion suffered the now-infamous "magic pencil trick"), and he seemed pretty jazzed about a passion project he was ready to start promoting, a throwback to good ol' Blaxploitation cinema from the '70s, called Black Dynamite. Sounded cool and all, but shamefully, I pretty much wrote it off as nothing more than a goofy straight-to-DVD romp, at best. Some shit that BET's on-air movie programming drones would laugh off and discard, at worst.

As I type this, however, I'm stil scraping bits of piece off my face....Not only has this authentic-as-hell looking jewel just been accepted into January's Sundance Film Festival, but it even has a fuckin' awesome red-band (R-rated) trailer to boot. Just watch this, it's the tits, man:



You catch Arsenio Hall in there? Bubba Gump, as well? How about the glorious Salli Richardson? Good to see Bokeem Woodbine back in action, too.

I hereby offer my apologies for trivializing this shit initially. Consider yours truly officially on board.

***Has me thinking, with butterflies in flight above my skull, of Coffy....aka, the film that cemented Pam Grier's status as a "Matt Barone's All-Time Fantasy Superstar" hall-of-famer.

Photobucket

Is it strange that I thought she was sexiest when drugged up and held captive by Sid Haig and the other henchmen? Was afraid so.

No comments: