Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Two movies in two years?! Keep it up, Daniel Day-Lewis....

The other day, somebody (pretty sure it was my dad, of all people) asked me, "When does Daniel Day-Lewis have a new movie coming out?" To which I responded, "In a perfect, fair world, every Friday for the next two or so years, but in this cold, at-times-cruel one we live in, sometime in late 2009, and it's a musical called Nine."

Okay, that's not exactly how I said it, but it might as well have been. No need to write an extended thesis here.....Daniel Day-Lewis is a relentless force of thespian-ic majesty, everybody knows this. There Will Be Blood was a viewing experience that wrecked me so hardcore, I'd say that December 2007 was defined by its inescapable presence in my head.

For now, though, just to show that the infamously elusive and one-movie-every-like-five-or-six-years talent-giant is, indeed, currently working, here's an on-set shot of he and Penelope Cruz in character for Rob Marshall's Nine. Marshall also directed Chicago and Memoirs of a Geisha (so I'm sure some of you ladies out there will be excited by this upcoming flick, then....what? Chicks dug Geisha, it's a proven fact. I even saw the shit on a date--reluctantly--and kinda liked it, though it was ultimately more boring than mesmerizing....I did, though, get some nookie after the movie, so who am I to complain?).

Photobucket
[seen over at PopSugar.com]

Nine is a musical, and.....wait a sec. Fuck, I hate musicals. If it's not one directed by a mad visionary like Tim Burton, starring a great like Johnny Depp, and soaked in Goth-goodness and cartoon-ish blood, I'll pass. Or, unless it stars Daniel Day-Lewis, and co-stars Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson, Sophia Loren, Marion Cotillard, and Fergie (yes, that Fergie....work with me here, people---Marshall cast her, who knows).

In other words, I'll definitely see Nine when it hits. Otherwise, yeah, musicals are the big-screen equivalent of jamming razor blades into my ears while I'm seated in a theater. Take a guess on whether I saw Mamma Mia! or not....

No comments: