Thursday, October 30, 2008

Music Videos Can Scare Me, Too.....

In he spirit of tomorrow's Halloween (my favorite holiday, ever), here's a hardly-seen-before music video by a band I know nothing more of, but had me trembling like a moose in front of Sarah Palin.

I can still vividly remember the first time I saw this.....it was way past the witching hour one night, probably during my 17th or 18th year in this world. Was flipping through the channels, turned to MTV, and caught one of those "alternative music video" shows they used to run after midnight. Can't recall the name of the exact program, but it was all about obscure artists and clips the network was either too-smart or too-pussy-footed to air during the routine day.

A couple of truly-shitty videos in, I was quickly losing interest and tempted to switch over to see if there was a Shannon Tweed and/or Julie Strain flick playing on Skin-A-Max (why sit here and lie? I'm an open book). But then, this video came on, and for some strange reason, my inner masochist told me to keep the station-changer stuck on Music TeleVision.

Fuck you, inner masochist. Aphex Twin's "Come To Daddy." Scared the ever-living-stool out of me. Literally gave me a nightmare that night. Vacated my thoughts for a couple days after. I'd even venture to say that this 5-minute music video is ten times more effective than a good 80% of horror/psychological/genre films overseen by full-length filmmakers.

Insane and unsettling atmosphere. Little older-women dwarf creatures straight out of Don't Look Now. Industrial metal that sounds like the soundtrack to a Lucifer-thrown kegger. And the granddaddy moment, a Gheorghe Muresan-tall demon who serves no other purpose than to inspire pants-shitting through simple screaming.

Maybe I'm just a pussy, but I doubt it. "Come To Daddy" will freak you out, I'm almost certain. So, meaning, of course, I love this video.



Yikes.

No comments: