Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The English are coming....with some truth for that ass

Was watching some episodes of Fawlty Towers with my pops this past weekend, while up at his cabin. Its a show that he'd routinely make me watch back when I was a wee lad, for reasons rotating around "let's show Matt some intelligent comedy, rather than those asinine Adam Sandler movies he loves" and "I love this shit, so I'm going to make my son, who seems to be cultivating a keen liking to pop culture and the entertainment biz, like it, as well" ideals.

Mission accomplished. Funniest part is, Fawlty Towers---a cult classic of a England-originated sitcom, where legendary comic dynamo John Cleese plays the live-in owner/manager of a bed-n-breakfast, where sharply-written hijinx ensue---a good 70% of my dad's catchphrases and insulting punchlines he's used against everybody from myself to my mother (all in sarcastic good fun, of course) are directly bitten from Basil Fawlty's ever-snappy dialogue.

In this same breath, pops also had me watching Cleese's other iconic addition into the comedy canon, Monty Python's Flying Circus, another brutally-smart-and-sly bit of laughs served up in the form of a sketch comedy program.

All this leads me into this clip I stumbled across online earlier....a recent interview w/ Cleese, where he offers his 20-cents regarding Sarah Palin. He says little that hasn't been said or at least thought before, but Cleese is a road scholar, so it means more than yours truly spitting it out:

[btw, Michael Palin is one of Cleese's also-funny associates from the Monty Python crew]


Posted for no other reason than to further belittle Palin. Like this site has any chance of impacting the rapidly-approaching election, but whatever. Peace-of-mind goes a long way.

No comments: