Saturday, September 27, 2008

Trailer Parkin' - The Spirit

I've decided that one of the many functions this here blog can exist for is to be my very own comingsoon.net, in way. A place where I can post new trailers for flicks that have me either excited, intrigued, or mortified in a worthwhile fashion. Plus, I know the vast majority of my friends and peeps aren't as up on this movie ish as I am, so perhaps it can even serve as a spot for everybody to see the latest trailers before having to see them in theaters. I'm just a nice guy like that, huh? And to think, it's all free of charge.

Next up is Will Eisner's The Spirit, a comic book adapt coming out around Christmas. Eisner isn't the director, though; rather, he's the creator of the original comic book series that came out way, way, back in the '30s. I recently bought a Best of The Spirit graphic novel, and plan on tearing through it in time for this movie's release.

This film version is directed by the legendary comic book wizard Frank Miller, who created the Sin City graphic novel series, as well as the series that the movie 300 was based on. High pedigree, he clearly has. But The Spirit is his first attempt at filmmaking on his own, which makes me a bit nervous, first off. Secondly, this seems to be treading the same waters as Sin City, visually and tonally. And the first teaser trailer I had seen a couple months ago really looked lame as a mug, especially how cheesy and miscast Sam Jackson seemed at the time. And then word came back from Comic-Con that The Spirit's panel was a huge dud, underwhelming as all hell.

So yeah, I was far from convinced. But this newly-dropped, full trailer has restored some, I repeat, "some," excitement. Still looks like it could very well turn out to be a huge shitstorm, but then this trailer also gives it a possibility of escapist glee. Especially reminding me how both Eva Mendes and Scarlett Johansson are vamping it up in this piece, and that can never be a bad thing, now can it?

Plus, this gives me fuzzy memories of the Dick Tracy movie, the one with Warren Beatty and Madonna, which holds a firm place in my childhood's cinematic development. I'll save the "why" for a future posting.

And how about Kevin Arnold's pops himself, Dan Lauria, randomly popping up in this flick? Bring it on, I say. The Wonder Years will forever remain one of the greatest shows, like ever. In my humble opinion, at least. To this day, I still want to kick the ever-living-shit out of that bastard Wayne Arnold. Fucker.

See with your own lookers:

No comments: