Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hung-Over Musings at 2pm......

Is it just me, or do guys only like to hang out with each other when there's a possibility of hooking-up-with-females at play?

Going to a bar. Hitting a club. Knocking back drinks in a lounge. Are these the only times a dude can hang out with his friends, with everybody having a good time? Why not just go check a movie out, or hang out at somebody's apartment and bullshit all night? Why must there always be liquor and chicks present?

And no, I shall not "Pause" anything I'm saying here. Totally unnecessary.

I don't know. Call me weird or crazy, but I'd be perfectly at peace with never going to another bar, ever never again. What good comes out of these dens of alcoholic consumption? Other than hangovers, emptier wallets, and impending shame felt the morning after? Well, those are far from "good," of course. But I'm just saying.

I think what this boils down to is....there's a real sense of disconnect lately between myself and those around me, family not included. And I'd venture to guess that many of those around me don't even realize this. But I do, and its becoming a bit tough to shrug off, or dust off the shoulder.

Mentally, I'm starting to feel like I'm in a far-off zone that nobody around me seems to be compatible with, and that's cool. It's par for the course. We each have our own vices, our own quirks. And that's what keeps matters interesting. But I'm starting to feel like my particular vices and quirks are a bit more secular and polarizing than those of those around me.

Let's see: I'm single, so right off the bat that knocks off a great portion of those around me, in terms of common POVs as mine. As a rule of thumb, dudes are less and less inclined to want to hang out with their single guy-friends once they're tied down, so to speak. Makes total sense---you're swept up in potential-love, so you want to hang out with the girl as much as possible. I get it. But then the single guy-friend, or at least this single guy-friend, starts to wonder, 'Did we only ever hang out just to meet girls? And now that he/they have a girl/girls, there's no more reasons to hang out with me?' It's a bitter pill to swallow, and the now-tied-down dude won't easily admit it, but tell me I'm wrong.....I'm waiting.....

Who knows---once I'm tied down, maybe I'll do the same.

People either want to go out and get "fucked up" and not return home until at least 4am, or go to a bar with no cash in hand and "innocently" ask those around them to spot them, because they're "good for it," or arrange a big couples-and-the-few-single-dudes-too event. And all of these can be good times, of course. But I'm not in any of those zones any more. I'm in the transport-myself-into-some-fantasy-land-of-make-believe zone, as in literature and cinema. I want to discuss it, and watch it, and immerse myself in it.

And as it seems, I'll be doing this by my lonesome. Bring it on, reality.

No comments: