Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pull Up A Seat......It's Story Time

It makes of sense, when thought about, but I'm a huge fan of conceptual storytelling rap songs....shit like Lupe Fiasco's "The Cool," Slick Rick's "Children's Story," Jay-Z's "Meet The Parents," Nas' "Undying Love," Mos Def's "Ms. Fat Booty," Cage's "Among The Sleep," and El-P's "Stepfather Factory," amongst many others. That seems like a nice and diverse lil example-roster for ya.

I'm a dude who adores a great story, a superb movie, a strong narrative, etc. So when talented lyricists susccessfully take stabs at this artform, I'll gladly listen. Because if done well, these kinds of tracks are good for multiple listens, where I can uncover some new slick detail I may have missed the last ear-focusing.

My current favorite storyteller is Elzhi, who, and I've stated this on this here blog several times before, has one hell of an album out now, The Preface. This track is one of my tops on there, "Hands Up," and it's a great little tale. All told through dialogue, which is really well-handled.

Give it a listen....and additional kudos to Black Milk for the the beat, which pummels the senses into submission as Elzhi weaves his yarn of escalating crime:

No comments: