Thursday, March 19, 2009

From Greek to shriek.....

Work with that headline....that's all I got today.

For all the shit I talk about horror remakes, there's just something about this October's House on Sorority Row (1983) redo, simply titled Sorority Row, that has me feeling totally supportive. Could be that I've yet to see the original, so I have no loyalty or investment in it. Or maybe, it's the generally-negative reviews I've read of that first go-round that prove its room for improvements. Perhaps it's a general need for a fun, mindless, well-done slasher flick in today's genre marketplace that has me optimistic here.

Photobucket

Vegas odds, however, would lean toward the fact that Sorority Row's cast is predominantly "sexy young actresses," plus hurt-in-the-face Rumer Willis (the daughter of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis). The last time such stars were aligned was that putrid Black Christmas remake, which I frequently erase from my memory only to re-discover its awfulness on cable, like some sort of cruel joke being played on me by the television overlords. How that film managed to downgrade a meeting of Lacey Chabert, Michelle Trachtenberg, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead into anything less than a hormonal paradise is beyond any logic of comprehension.

So I've reserving hope that Sorority Row can avoid the pitfalls of Black Christmas. And now there's this new trailer, which gives me even more reason to believe. Looks better than expected. Not saying I'm expecting horror greatness in the least, but there's a certain air of "playing it straight" that Black Christmas failed miserably at....but, as a Devil's advocate would point out, Black Christmas also had a nice-looking trailer. Let's hope this here preview doesn't dupe me in equally painful ways. Biggest plus for now: the director has said that he's looking at an R rating. Take that, pussy-ass Prom Night.

Sorority Row, out October 2
SORORITY ROW trailer in HD


[Yes, that was Audrina from The Hills. I'm actually not mad at the casting, even though she'll surely smell on screen. I hate The Hills and everything about it with fiery passion, yes, but that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge Audrina's rampant sex appeal.]

Extra: This seems as good a time as any to call out Jamie Chung as a one-time The Real World cast member that I completely slept on during her season. Was she as unbelievably hot on the show as she is now? Check out her photo spread in the new Maxim mag issue (with Malin Akerman) on the cover, or just rewatch this Sorority Row trailer. She's a problem, my friends.



Also worth nothing: One of Sorority Row's other stars, Briana Evigan, is also a dilemma. In a good way. Shit, I sat through Step Up 2 the Streets just to ogle her. I deserve a date, or a phone number, at least, right?

Photobucket
Yes, that ish above her eyes looks like a five-head in this picture, but that's a-okay

No comments: