Saturday, February 21, 2009

Funny People trailer....intentionally un-hilarious?

Does anybody make comedies as re-watchable as Judd Apatow? Not to sound like a fair weather lame here or anything---I've been a fan of the guy's stuff since I caught Freaks & Geeks episodes back during the show's all-too-brief TV run. I'm jut sitting here wondering if I could sit through comedy films as repeatedly as I can with flicks like Knocked Up, Superbad, Anchorman, Pineapple Express, and 40 Year Old Virgin, all Apatow-stamped. Any time one of these comes on cable, or in Pineapple's case any time the DVD catches my eye within my collection, I'm caught hook, line, and sinker, always laughing just as much as I did the first time I watched in theater.

The man has a gift for making laughers that endure, mainly thanks to his films' everyman quality that makes "I've been there before" roll of the tongue without force. "Never with as much wit and snappy dialogue, of course, but the situation rings true to life." Superbad being a prime example, a film that the 16-year-old me could've totally related to, yet would have wished his life could be scripted by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and/or Apatow. I never would've said something along the lines of "Nobody has gotten a handjob in cargo shorts since 'Nam'" on my own, but I certainly discussed the magical world of under-the-pants stimulation at the hands of a female.

All this leads to the point of this Apatow rant.....this first trailer for his next writing-directing effort, Funny People, starring Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, and tons of other Apatow regulars (plus The Rza, which is just amazing). It's a whopping 3:32 long, meaning way too much plot is revealed, which is an issue. And this isn't the funniest trailer I've ever seen. In fact, it's really not the LOL-worthy at all, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. Funny People has a much more somber tone than any of Apatow's past work, and that alone intrigues me, equally as much as a personal look into the fascinating (to me, at least) world of stand-up comedy. Part of me has always wished I was funny enough to do stand-up, but then the whole "fear of public speaking" angle slaps me back into reality.

Give it a look. It's always welcome to see Adam Sandler dropping bullshit like Bedtime Stories once in a while to prove that he can indeed act well. The pairing of Sandler and Rogen seem made-in-chemistry-heaven, and Leslie Mann remains one of the sexiest funny-women in the game. Though this trailer isn't super-funny in the slightest, something tells me we're in for an unexpectedly profound real-life experience with this one.

No comments: