Thursday, February 19, 2009

Even horror elite hate Friday the 13th......Amen

Both my little "Post-Screening Thoughts" entry here and then the angry column I threw together for the KING website clearly displayed my ever-growing hatred for this new Friday the 13th film. As the distance grows, I continue to despise more and more. I've been a bit nervous, however, in a sense of "Am I a bad horror lover for hating this film?" Several of the genre writers, critics, and fansites have been praising the film; not total fawning, but enough positive words that I began wondering if I was being too harsh a critic.

Photobucket
Sorry dude.....your movie sucks.

There's really no question: My Bloody Valentine 3D > Friday the 13th (2009)

Thankfully, the best podcast on all of the Interwebs, "Dinner for Fiends," over at Dread Central, has a new installment that's solely dedicated to bitch-slapping the new Friday the 13th. And the four guys heard in this podcast are all horror experts and know way more than I could claim to know, but would love to rival them at some day (Lord knows I'm trying). One of the guys was involved in the making of this new Friday documentary His Name Was Jason, while another is actually one of the dudes who offers insight throughout the docu. So they're legit, and the fact that damn near every damning point they make in this new "Dinner for Fiends" reflect every point I've made to date makes me feel all warm and validated inside.

Photobucket

The points they raise near the end about how these new Hollywood-made horror flicks are pumped out for the lowest-common-denominator audience, not those of us who truly appreciate horror, is spot-on. In no way I'm a horror elitist, but I'm confident enough to declare myself as a dude who really understands the genre and knows the good from the bad.

Enjoy. It's not only informative and well-argued....it's as hilarious as always (choose the "Click here to listen to Dinner for Fiends on your computer" option):

The "Dinner for Fiends" crew rightfully treats the new Friday the 13th like one of Jason Voorhees' victims

No comments: