Saturday, January 3, 2009

"Lickety Split, split lickety......"

8 Mile is on VH1, and I'd forgotten how much I love this movie. Especially when he verbally incinerates those Free World bitches in the final battle setpiece.

"Tanktop screamin' 'Lotto, I don't fit you!"

In honor of this time capsule of a flick (for me, it represents a time when my Jersey friends and I were particularly into this hip hop shit, as a collective, and we saw this as a unit on opening night. I left the theater flirting with the notion of putting pen to paper, hoping I could one day kick ass in a battle just as B. Rabbit did....clearly, that pipe dream went the way of mushroom cloud smoke), here's the just-flawless "Lose Yourself," the flick's theme song.

Sure, this was a smash commercial hit and all that jazz. But did/do people realize how incredible this song really is? The way it charges your blood, and makes you want to go conquer the world. And then there's Eminem's untouchable flow, verses, message. Serious shit.

(for some reason, the actual video has been taken down from Youtube. Guess those labels and their new anti-Youtube policies are in effect)


Let's get this Relapse album sooner than later, eh?

No comments: