Sunday, August 24, 2008

Very Upset Right Now

Son of a bitch! I really need to kickstart this Hollywood/movie journalist grind into super-duper high gear, because these film festivals are really where it's at.

In the hopefully-not-too-distant future, your boy will be at every one of these, as some sort of job requirement.....Cannes Film Festival....Sundance Film Festival...Toronto International Film Festival....hell, even Comic-Con.

I just realized that not one, but two of my most-anticipated flicks are screening during early-September's Toronto fest, and this means that I'll be forced to read every excited post-screening review online for months until these two French sick-times get U.S. release.

Photobucket

The first is Martyrs, literally a film I'd kill a kitten at this very moment just to watch in the dark confines of a movie theater. I've written about it before here, and having just skimmed through two new reviews surfacing after other film fests, I'm fucking losing my mind in anticipation. Both reviews are raving, ecstatic, all-praising, etc. This movie is going to rock my shit whenever I do finally see it, and boy can I not wait.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I remember when I first started reading about Inside last year on all of my trusty horror movie websites, and how it was consistently flooring every audience it was shown to....same goes for Spain's [Rec]. It's crazy to me just how geeked I'm getting these days for foreign genre cinema. Something tells me I really need to get my fucking passport. It's not a game anymore.

And next.....

[Vinyan]
Photobucket

The second is Vinyan, a flick by a French filmmaker named Fabrice Du Welz who I'm slowly learning more and more about, and I'm intrigued. It seems to be some weird tribal Lord of the Flies merged with Children of the Corn, and seems to be quite badass. But besides the simple truth that its from almighty horror heaven France, my main reason of excitement is that the score is provided by Francois Eudes, the same wizard behind the fucking brilliant music heard in Inside and High Tension. Just absolutely sick, jarring, pulsating, and invigorating tunes that really elevate the tension in these already-gripping movies.

Photobucket

To everybody who will be attending the Toronto International Film Fest, I have three simple words for you and yours:

Middle. Finger. You

No comments: