Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Young Lloyd does it again

Photobucket


As a result of my ever-growing disdain with rap music, lately I've been getting more and more into R&B. It's nothing to be ashamed of or anything; rather, I'd imagine that people would be happy to hear this. Many have complained that I've been too enclosed within the rap universe, not stretching my wings outside enough. A sentiment I totally concur with....not saying you'll catch me bumping Fall Out Boy in my iTunes anytime soon or anything, though. Although that Katy Perry song "I Kissed A Girl" really does knock hard...it's my jam, no lie.

So I just contributed to the downfall of the music industry by DLing the new Lloyd record, Lessons In Love. I like the dude (pause)--his last album, Street Love, was a somewhat slept-on gem of a modern R&B album, in my humble frame. Ben would agree (does he even go online? will he ever even read my blog? if he's reading this now, is he ready to crack open some Corona 22s this Friday night, per usual? I hope he's supplying again). Dudes loves his R&B and makes no qualms about it.

"Take You Home" on Street Love was a dope one, for sure, and I went into this new joint hoping for a track on par with that one. And I'll be damned, the first song easily surpasses it. It's called "Sex Education," and I've listened to it like five times in a row now. Beat is this sci-fi-ish synth bed, with electric guitars and unabashedly hokey chants of "I wanna make an A! I wanna make an A!" In the bedroom, not the classroom, get it? I won't even lie, I havent gotten much bpast that current single, which comes second on the album. You know, the "Girls Around The World" jam with Lil Overexposed and Overhyped Himself Wayne. It's a great single, I can't wait to hear it soon while I'm high off Coffee Petron sights and have a fine lady in my inebriated scopes...."destroyer mode," as Steve has so cleverly coined me when I'm drunk and randy in the club.

Hopefully the rest of this album keeps bringing the goods....oh, I still have some personal ish to write about. Maybe I'll get to that before bed tonight....depends, though, if I opt, instead, to finish Watchmen, or start Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards script. Fuckin'g can't wait to get into that one....if I could do one thing right now, it'd be to watch old school grindhouse reels in Tarantino's home theater, with Rza and Rosario Dawson seated on my sides. Rosario's hand in my lap, mind you, whispering sweet nothings in my ear, in that Naturelle voice she used in 25th Hour. Happy happy, joy joy

No comments: