Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hello, My Droogs....

Photobucket


Come one, come all....after months of deciding whether or not I'd ever keep up with a personal blog, in terms of new updates and content, I was hit with the good ol' "fuck it" sentiment earlier today. There's a helluva lot of stuff running through my dome, ranging from giddiness over new movie trailers (I really hope that Quarantine doesn't tarnish the name of Spain's fucking brilliant [REC] here in the states....I'll have to wait 'til October 10 to know for sure....); disdain and decreasing amounts of interest in today's rap music, other than Nas' latest and Ehlzi's amazing EuroPass cd); and stuff going in my personal, out-of-office life. Whether anybody out there actually gives a you-know-what about any of this is neither here nor there....I'm going to use this blog as a journal of sorts, keeping things more-real-than-I-probably-should at times. So yeah, if you're ever wondering what's going on in my ever-shifting mind, here's your one-stop shop....and hopefully some of you out there get the reference I've dropped in my blog's title. If not, go back to Hard to Earn, track 8, for clarification. The opening third is one of my favorite beats of all time. Preemo, you genius you.

My thought process today, July 22: how absolutely jaw-dropping Alan Moore's Watchmen graphic novel is. I'd read it once before earlier this year, after R. Dot put me on to it and Mr. 300 himself Zack Snyder signed to handle the film adapation, sending the fanboy universe into a panty-twisted frenzy. Everything about that intital reading experience floored me---how Rorschach became one of my favorite fictional characters ever; how I bizarrely can relate to the isolation felt by Dr. Manhattan; how dense and multi-layered the whole story is, something that I hope to some day even-slightly match when I transition into non-journalistic storytelling fulltime (it'll happen, please believe). Watchmen turned me into a closet comic book nerd, but not for the likes of Iron Man and Superman; rather, the 28 Days Later novelized sequels and the horror-ific works of the dude, Steve Niles.

And then I watched the new teaser trailer for March 6, 2009's Watchmen film, and it all reignited inside me. While the slow motion is a bit OD in the trailer, all of the little details look strikingly uncanny to the comic, a truth that has upgraded this flick from "I hope they don't fuck this up" to "I'll be stalking the Warner Bros publicity dept all of 2009 for an advance screening to satitate my geek-dom."

So now, I've begun re-reading the graphic novel....I've already breezed through the first five chapters in like an hour, and I'll continue reading it on the train tomorrow into the city for the underpaid hustle I call my career. I'm sure some observers will label me a tool, an underdressed dude reading a comic with a smiley face on the cover. But if they only knew....I really am a tool. At least I feel like one as I sit on my laptop, re-watching the Quarantine trailer over and over again before skipping to the scene in Inside (quite possibly my favorite film of the last 3 or so years, call me a sadistic bloodhound if you must) where Johnny Depp's smoking-hot sister-in-law regroups herself with makeshift spear in hand and the music escalates into a militant techno stomp, which leads into my nightly hour of Family Guy reruns on The Cartoon Network, all while wondering if and when I'll meet my very own Bust-It-Baby here in Hoboken.

Yeah, I'm pretty weird, huh? Bet most of you friends and associates who happen upon this blog didn't even realize how weird I truly am....well, my friends, you ain't read nothing yet......

2 comments:

paige worthy said...

I always knew you were that weird… I just didn't know the details.
Cubemates always have some idea.

Unknown said...

Matty B, what's up? I've been meaning to send you a link to a video that I uploaded to youtube. It's definitely your cup of tea.

Link