Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dust off that old Nintendo.....

....because The Dark Knight has been given a retro 8-bit makeover.


Spotted over at: JoBlo

And it's spot-on. The person(s) who made this have way too much time on their plate(s), yet still deserve a round of applause. Everything from the sound effects to the brightness of the pixels is pure NES, or any other now-dated gaming system of that era.

I was born in 1982, so obviously I owned a Nintendo. That's where it ended, however; I never owned a Super Nintendo, though I played it regularly at friends' houses and my cousins' basement. Mario Kart was the fix. Sega Genesis was more my speed (Streets of Rage 2 = most enjoyable game to play, ever? Me thinks so). I even had Sega CD....remember that? The Genesis attachment that featured games with live-action actors and gameplay, only grainy as hell and of Troma-movie level performances. I was souped as all hell when I finally got my mitts on Sega CD, but of course, being me, the luck quickly ran out, a dream rapidly evaporated. Literally like two weeks after I got the thing, the sadistic brass at Sega halted all production on Sega CD games, leaving me with four games and nothing more, never again.

Fuckin' waste of cash, that was. Although, zombie shoot-em-up Corpse Killer, Double Switch (with Corey Haim, seriously) and alien invasion epic Ground Zero Texas (the first video game that included women who actually got me excited in those special areas....hey, these were real people, not animated characters. Relax) still hold fastened positions in my heart.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

And then there was the painfully-elusive Night Trap, a game I searched for far and wide, but was rendered "missing in action" thanks to the censors condemning its "girls in lingerie being stalked and killed" asthetic.....and why was that improper for little kids to play, again?
Photobucket
(Scene from Night Trap)

Slam City with Scottie Pippen and Prize Fighter, though, were absolutely impossible, and caused a couple bloody knuckles from me pounding the dresser in uproars. Ahh, the good ol' days.

No comments: