Sunday, September 14, 2008

Shots Fired

I'm a bit torn about something, concerning myself, brought into my thought process after another one of those "drinks, shots, more shots, another drink" nights last evening.

Should I be flattered or concerned about this: any time my friends and I go out to a bar/lounge/club/etc, I'm always the one to whom everybody says, "Do a shot!" Or, "Here I got you a shot." Or, "Let's buy Matt this crazy shot that none of us would ever do, but since he won't know what it is and he already has a buzz going, he'll do it anyway! It'll be fun!"

Now, I'm all for having a good time while I'm out, but I mean, why me? Every time?

My flattered side reasons like this: when I'm a bit tips, I'm a barrel of laughs. A wrecking ball of fun. I make everybody else's night a bit more enjoyable with my intoxicated antics, such as dancing ever-so-closely with some girl I just met, or unleashing my usual jokes but only more viciously now that I'm drunk. At least this is what I'd hope is the reason for everybody tossing mini-drinks my way at a furious pace.

But then my concerned side chimes in: am I really a wrecking ball of fun? Is it because I tend to do dumb shit that makes me look like a fool publicly, but gives those around me some secondhand giggles at my expense? I know for a fact this is the case often times, but is it that my friends are deliberately getting me to a drunken-enough zone where I'll act like a moron? If so, isn't that kind of fucked up?

And while I'm on the subject of going out drinking with friends....explain to me why some people never bring cash with them to bars/lounges/clubs/etcs? Like I'm not intelligent and aware enough to realize that this is a ploy to sucker people around you into buying you drinks, since "Oh shit man, I don't have any cash on me....can you get this round?" Knowing damn well you make way more money than I do. Grinds my gears.

In all, I think the solution to all this pondering is simple: stop going out to drink at bars/lounges/clubs/etc. Though, really none of my friends (or at least my single friends who aren't tied down with signif others all the time, to which I'm not angry but just stating a truth) enjoy the simple things that I do....watching DVDs, engaging in convo, going to the cinema, going out to eat and talking for long periods of time at the table after the meal is digested.

For the majority of my friends, fun only equals drinks and women in the vicinity. And I'm all for women in the vicinity, but when being in such a vicinity always and pretty-much-only leads to empty wallets and next-morning-hangovers, then what's the point?

I'm just saying....I wish I could just bypass the places of alcoholic and sexually-intended consumption and stick to simplicity on weekend nights.....that's the world I want to live in.

No comments: