Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Musical Massacre

Photobucket

I hate musicals. Never have seen, and probably never will see, ever, MOULIN ROUGE, nor CHICAGO. Call it close-minded or whatever, but there's plenty other things I'd rather do than listen to people sing and dance and shit.

But a couple weeks ago, I did, out of unstoppable intrigue, see a new horror-music-rock-opera called REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA. And I expected to hate it, but to my surprise, I really dug it. Sure, some of the acting is terrible and/or over-done, but overall its a pretty unique, fun little ride. Sort of like a new-age ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, if you will. Nowhere near as dope as SWEENEY TODD was, but still a good time.

Oh, and it has Paris Hilton in it, and she's shockingly tolerable. Even kinda sexy in a Goth chick way throughout.

Photobucket

Directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, a dude who needs to intake some Ritalin while directing typically (those flash cuts and quick edits in his SAW movies are annoying and I hate them, with a passion), but he's a tad more subdued here with REPO!, and it works wonders. I no longer consider him a full-blown hack. Rejoice.

Comes out in early November. Worth a look if you're the type who digs for one-of-a-kind art.

No comments: