Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The dark side of Italy

from the almighty Bloody-Disgusting.com:
"Update: This story has been CONFIRMED as true! We heard some interesting rumblings this afternoon that we are trying desperately to confirm. What we've been told - and should be taken strictly as rumor - is that Handsome Charlie Films, which is headed by Natalie Portman (pictured inside) and Annette Savitch, will be producing the remake of Dario Argento's Suspiria. In addition, word has it Portman will topline the film that David Gordon Green is attached to direct. Green's PINEAPPLE EXPRESS hits theaters tomorrow. Remember that this is RUMOR until confirmed."

You may or may not know, but I fuckin' adore the original SUSPIRIA, by the Italian horror god Dario Argento. I saw it on cable back in like freshman year of high school, and it totally freaked me out. In the wake of that initial viewing, it's become one of my fave genre flicks ever. The music used in is quite possibly my all-time favorite score in any movie, like, ever (created by the group Goblin....job well done, you weirdly-named rockers), and the gore scenes are shot with such virtuoso style and grandeur, they're almost things of beauty (well, as beautiful as a chick falling through a giant glass chandelier only to be hung by a chord, after a close-up shot of her beating heart being jabbed with a knife, can really be, of course).

I generally hate the idea of horror remakes, but this one is pretty intriguing to me.....first, David Gordon Green, an on-the-rise filmmaker I'm really digging (especially after seeing PINEAPPLE EXPRESS, which I'll be writing about later tonight after I see it for my 2nd time) is behind it, and I'm super curious to see what he can with horror. And now Natalie Portman is looking like it's heroine, and if you've seen the original, you'd surely agree that she's pretty much the best casting choice around. She's a pretty great actress, and one with definite credibility. It's off to a good start.....

[original SUSPIRIA's trailer....since I'm assuming nobody else has seen it who'll check out my blog. This is a pretty cheesy trailer, but it's all I could find, but do trust, it does the actual movie very little justice]

No comments: