Friday, August 8, 2008

Basterdization Time

Damn, I remember the days when a release date for a new Gza album would send me into a fanboy frenzy....and considered that the Genius himself has a new record coming in a few weeks and I'm sort of indifferent about it, it's pretty tell-tale where my head is at now. I'd hate to say it's that I'm "maturing," because that'd be obnxious bullshit even I wouldn't buy. You can be any age and listen to good hip hop. It's just that the music I once passionately adored is now about 92% garbage, and I can't take it no mo. Lil Wayne does little for me, Young Jeezy says nothing I can "feel," and Elzhi's album is coming out to zero fanfare. My, oh my.

Wanna know what truly excites me these days? Hollywood/movies (surprise, huh?).....take this bit of news I just read. Simon Pegg, who is otherwise known as one of the coolest dudes in the world in my stratosphere (if you haven't yet, see SHAUN OF THE DEAD and HOT FUZZ immediately....splendid, and now I must somehow pick up the newly-released box set of his old British show SPACED), is in talks to join the cast of Quentin Tarantino's (also one of the coolest in my land) next flick, INGLORIOUS BASTERDS (I know thats spelled wrong; it's how Tarantino has it spelled on the front page of the script, intentionally I'm sure), which is a fuckin' wild WWII epic, with such characters as "The Bear Jew" and "The Nazi Hunter." I grabbed the script when it leaked online, and read all 165 pages or so of it in like one 45-minute sitting. It's uneven as hell, totally off the wall, violent, etc. Pure Tarantino, and I f'n loved it.

Brad Pitt is set to star in it, so yeah, that's Pitt + Tarantino + (possibly) Pegg. You know what that'd equal, if it all comes to fruition? A seismic shift in the atmosphere of cinematic cool. Brace yourselves.

No comments: