Friday, April 10, 2009

Observe and Report's ending, reconsidered

I've been thinking about the end of Observe and Report for the last few days, bouncing back and forward with my opinion. Ultimately, I've decided that I actually don't like the final resolution, though I won't spoil it here for those who haven't seen the film, since it's opening today and it's hardly 3pm.

Photobucket

When people do see it, though, assuming some will, I'd love to pick the last couple of minutes apart. The problem I'm having is that the entire tone of the film (despicable guy rapidly descending into self-destruction and public endangerment) is kicked to the curb for a last-second reversal of fortune that doesn't feel right. Feels cheap, out of place, pandering to the same conventions that the rest of the film so knowingly spits at. There's a scene that involved a fat flasher/pervert approaching a major female character in slow motion before being gunned down at point blank range, and that's where the film should've ended and credits should've rolled. Or, if an additional moment or two was necessary, writer-director Jody Hill would've been better served to make this scene's aftermath one of imprisonment, not fulfillment. It's a shame, since the slo-mo flasher sequence is damn great, and its climax is sudden and bloody good.

If anybody out there sees Observe and Report this weekend, please hit me so we can engage in a wee bit of debate. I'm still a big fan of the film, though. And I must warn the masses----this isn't a LOL comedy. In fact, I didn't let out a hearty laugh once, but I was engaged throughout and totally down for the cause. It's something different, and hopefully an important change-of-course for studio comedies.

All that being said, I must close this with a confession: I really want my own "Nell."

Photobucket

Cute as hell, sweet and personable. Pure. A smile that could melt a homicidal fool's heart. She's total "wife material." Well played, Collette Wolfe.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

100% agree with you!

Anonymous said...

totally agree sweet and gorgeous

Unknown said...

Yes, I agree, the movie should have stopped at the gun shot to the chest, and/or he should have went to jail right there as it wasn't really self defense or anything that could/would have stopped him from being carted off.

And MAN, I have to agree on the Nell part, I mean wow.. Ever since seeing this movie I have had the craving to go to my local mall to see if there is a coffee shop..

Anonymous said...

Wait until you get a load of Collette Wolfe in "Hot Tub Time Machine"; saucy, sexy, naughty, slutty, and that sideways mouth thing representing drunken wantonness!

Unknown said...

oh lad, she is literally top of the pops. along with Mim Nervo (give a google), literally in love