Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Finally, a new David Lynch film (sort of)

Is it wise or worrisome that I'm only excited to see this flick, Surveillance, simply because its director is Jennifer Lynch, the daughter of one David Lynch, a mind-fucking filmmaker who I bow to from time to time (pause?) and is listed as a producer here? If one of Stanley Kubrick's daughters put out a movie, I'd be similarly enthused, but there's no chance in holy hell that the finished product would even be able to sit next to one of her father's DVDs on a Best Buy shelf. The same point could be made about the Lynch dad/daughter connection. Jennifer could be an inept director for all I know, yet I'm still psyched for this Surveillance. Her only other film, Boxing Helena, was universally reviled by critics, though many have retracted the vehement bile in later years, but there's still causes for concern there. So this could be a case of unworthy nepotism, but I'm still willing to give it a go.

There was actually a chance for yours truly to check this one a couple months back at the New York Horror Film Fest, but I opted to sleep off a bitchin' hangover (the screening was on a Sunday afternoon). The flick won an award or two there, which bodes nicely. Now, this newly-issued trailer is gearing me up for Surveillance's limited release this summer, and it's confusing and invigorating enough to make this a must-pay-for:

No comments: