Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"Actual Facts," But Not Really

Whipped up a list of my favorite "based on a true story" gimmick-y horror flicks for the latest entry in my "Theater of Mine" column over at the KING site. Check it out, if interested. Timed with this week's latest Amityville Horror knockoff, The Haunting in Connecticut, which I'm very likely catching tonight.

Initially, The Haunting in Connecticut's trailer lulled me into a premature sense of optimism, most likely due to those slick organ notes at its end. I'm a sucker for Gothic-y, atmospheric scores. But the more I've seen from it and read about it, I can't shake the feeling that it'll ultimately be a forgettable slop of PG-13 jump scares and shrieky-music cues. And those never do anything more than irritate.

At the least, the flick provided an excuse to write up this list, which was pretty fun and relatively effortless. Whether that's good or bad, who knows? Made me happy, and that's the M.O. [LINK BELOW THE PIC]

The list includes a cameo from my boy "Tarman," from 1985's so-damn-good Return of the Living Dead, which is reason enough alone to give it a go, no?
Photobucket

And, really, every post should have some Tarman. "Moooorre.....braaainnnss!" *followed by a smile*

This is the first list of this kind I've ever done, so there are some kinks that'll be ironed out next time, and more the time after. I have some future list ideas in the works, so I'll give myself plenty a chance to improve. For one, I forgot about a few films that should've made the cut (Wolf Creek, David Cronenberg's Dead Ringers, David Fincher's Zodiac even); and two, a commenter pointed a choice-of-word error regarding Ed Gein, who only killed two people, making my use of "several" a bit improper. Like I said, a work in progress.

LINK: My Nine Favorite "Based on a True Story" Genre Films

No comments: