Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bring The Pain

It doesn't happen very often these days, but every now and then, a new rap album drops that reinvigorates that inner-fire of mine with excitement. That oft-forgotten realization that I'll be bumping said album for months to come, not that initial 2 or 3 spins in my iTunes before disappearing into oblivion (sorry, recent Nas and Lil Wayne albums, I've already deleted you from any current playlists).

That new Elzhi album, The Preface, gave me this feeling not too long ago. Another album that's set for October release recently did the same, but the fact that I own it is something I can't even divulge, so I'll save my praise of it for next month.

This past week, another record injected my ears with this sense of hip hop eupohoria: DJ Muggs vs. Planet Asia, Pain Language

Photobucket

Muggs has always been a fave producer of mine, and here, he's in gloriously muddy, dark, macabre, hardcore places here sonically. Planet Asia, an MC I've always liked but sadly slept-on as a whole 'til now, kills it throughout. Beats bang. Lyrics score. Every song wins, and even the skits are bleak bits of grit.

Photobucket

Some samplings:

"Sleeper Cell"



"Pain Language"



"All Hail The King"



....told you. The shit is so so serious. If you know anything about me, you'd know the type of rap I've long preferred, and this Pain Language is just that.

And it's about to establish permanent residence within M.B.'s iTunes.

No comments: