Monday, August 18, 2008

Reading really is fundamental....who knew?!

If I truly want to be the unabashed cinephile that I long to be seen as, there's one crucial missing piece to the puzzle, and thankfully, I've realized it. And now, it's time ro remedy this dilemma.

So many movies, particularly ones currently in production or on the eve of release that I'm anticipating like Amy Winehouse does the crack, originate from books. You know, those hardcover/paperback collections of narrative pages and literature that I've neglected for far too long, opting for magazine stories and more recently comic books/graphic novels. The graphic novels are here to stay, as are mag pieces, but now I'm adding the fiction prose into the mix. I'm pretty geeked, too. Barnes & Noble is such an untapped resource, I'm envisioning many a dollar bill being dropped within its walls from here on out.

I started my first entry into this personal renaissance earlier tonight, and I'm alredy halfway through it, because it's fucking amazing so far:

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

The reason why this is my first choice is because its the source material for a new movie coming around Thanksgiving that looks pretty great, and I keep hearing how stellar the book is, Pulitzer Prize and all. Plus, McCarthy wrote the No Country for Old Men book, and that movie rocked my world, so now seeing how briliant a scribe he is, I'll have to go back and read No Country, the book, now, and hope that the Coen Brothers' take won't become totally inferior as a result.

But yeah, The Road is really some breathtaking reading, and I'll report back with a full post-game report on it once I'm done. Which, at the rate I'm going, could be like tomorrow or Thursday night.

And I'm totally open to book suggestions, if anybody wants to drop a note with some recommendations. Any and everything, other than lame romance novels that my mom would read. Clarification: if Fabio is on the cover, please keep the fact that you actually liked said book to yourself. Reps should grow bigger, not deplete.

No comments: