Sunday, November 2, 2008

Proofreading is fundamental....

File this under Purely Self-Serving Posts, those that I'm sure others read and think, as the final sentence concludes, "What a waste of time? Why does this motherfucker think that such internal-monologue shit should be experienced by anybody else?" To which I wouldn't blame. But yeah, this is what I do, on a daily basis...I overthink, and criticize myself. Can't help it, never have been able to. The eternal struggle, call it.

I hate referring to what I do here as "blogging," though really, you gotta call a spade a spade, right? Just sounds so corny, status-quo-meeting. Besides, I'm not exactly "web logging," more like utilizing a free, other-hands-off outlet to wax long-winded about shit I like, and have no other means of coverage for. And I can end sentences with prepositions ("for") and not feel like a schmuck. Well, a total schmuck/hack, at least. You know what I mean.

But a problem I'm now finally realizing of just writing shit down here and not thoroughly proofreading is that, at times, I'm posting some entries that just aren't to up my snuff.

For instance, I just flashed back to some old posts I did on Fabrice Du Welz films, and I'm not in the mood to re-explain who he is, so if you're really intrigued as to who he is and don't know jackshit about him, either just enter his name in the SEARCH option above or consult IMDB. But yeah, for whatever reason i felt the need to re-watch the opening for Du Welz's upcoming Vinyan, which I embedded on this here site a couple months back. But in doing so, I also came across one of my first-ever entries here, a reaction to his debut Calvaire, which was one of my Netflix-addiction-kickoff-fix(es).

So, for the fuck of it, I re-read the Calvaire text, and promptly Xed out the page's box, thinking, "Damn, definitely am not feeling this." First off, my feelings were slanted toward the negative side, and having seen Calvaire again since, I must retract; it's a film that requires multiple viewings, and unavoidably scrambles your thoughts upon premiere viewing. So, to Calvaire, I apologize. Color me ashamed.

Color me even-more-ashamed for how I wrote said unfairly-damning reaction. My crimes: Repeating tons of words within sentences, which is my personal pet-peeve in writing and reading, so imagine how heated I've made myself. Flow and smooth-read-quality were clunky. Issues that would've been resolved if I'd have just proofread, instead of premature-posting-ejaculating. So from this typed-word on, I'm vowing to somewhat-polish these entries. It's "blogging," yes, despite how hard I try to distinguish it otherwise, but even bloggers owe it to themselves and whoever happens to read their work to put their best fingers forward.

Not saying this site will read like Pulitzer Prize material or anything. Let's be real. Just making note of past mistakes, in hopes of better days.

No comments: