Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Epilogue of a literary master....

Photobucket

R.I.P. Michael Crichton. Author/filmmaker/physician/one of the reasons why I first grew to love storytelling and narrative imagination. He passed away today at age 66 from cancer.

Can't say that I've read all of his books, but I can say this.....Jurassic Park (the movie, too, sure, but mainly the original Crichton-penned book) was a milestone event in my childhood, and proved to me that having a T-Rex-sized mind-full-of-wonder-and-endless-possibilities was something to be proud of. I haven't tapped into my own (or the one I truly feel I have locked within my noggin), but the day I do, Crichton will be one of the people responsible.

Sphere and Congo, my other two Crichton works of choice, rode Jurassic Park's momentum down the road of "Matt's Newfound Love of Adult Literature," even before I read my first Stephen King paperback.

Just wanted to pay tribute to a great writer. 'Tis all.

No comments: