Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Since When Did SNL Get Funny Again?

I don't know....I've been hearing about how lame Saturday Night Live has become in recent years, and before this past Saturday evening, I agreed mostly...the few skits I'd watched did indeed blow.

But, as a result of a lazy I-want-to-stay-in-and-save-money-rather-than-wasting-dollars-on-alcohol decision-making process, I watched the majority of SNL's latest episode, and kinda enjoyed it. Though, I do have an unexplainable crush on Anne Hathaway, who hosted, so that could've helped.

But, Kristen Wiig's "baby hands/slow" singing character in that "Lawrence Welk Show" skit was pretty damn funny, and Tina Fey-as-Sarah Palin is so spot-on that it's becoming more eerie than laugh-y, but still more than laugh-y enough.

And then there's this amazing shit right here....."Marky Mark and the Donkey Bunch." Andy Samberg gets Wahlberg's delivery and cadence down cold. Shit has me LOLing still, check it:



The secret to this skit's success: unlike damn near every other skit that SNL does, this one is short and sweet. Doesn't blow it in the end, and doesn't overstay its welcome. At all. Finally, the writers seemed to have gotten timing-and-pacing issues right.

So, should I start DVRing SNL, once I actually get DVR? I think so, because Lord knows, once I'm over this whole "staying in on weekends" kick, my ass will be sippin' it up on Saturday nights. Not confining myself indoors to watch something that'll only potentially have me chuckling.

I'd rather laugh at dudes striking out while trying to bag ladies at the bar. Makes me feel better about myself, what can I say? Not that I necessarily even bother trying to bag ladies at bars, but I'm just saying....

No comments: