Sunday, December 21, 2008

In honor of the great, unfairly forgotten Wonder Showzen

Photobucket

....at least it feels like folks have forgotten. I can count on one hand how many people acually know what the fuck I'm talking about when I hit them with, "Did you watch Wonder Showzen? And, if you did, wasn't Clarence the single-funniest thing on TV at the time?"

Wonder who? Who the hell is Clarence?

It was essentially a kids' show on an unhealthy prescription of acid and date-rape drugs (a truly-adult mocking of Yo Gabba Gabba in design/presentation/structure), and there was some stuff that I couldn't believed MTV sanctioned. I mean, one of the main characters is a penis-head with eyes and pube-hair.

Photobucket

For the uninitiated, Clarence was this big blue hand puppet that some dude wore out in public, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog inspired I'm sure, and would annoy any poor soul who entertained its asinine questions. Clarence's crowning achievement: asking people to explain the "importance of patience" to the kids at home, while testing each person's respective patience through repeated questions, requests to say "louder." Pedestrians got heated, and I laughed uncontrollably.

So many jewels: Beat Kids, on-the-street child reporters who say the most offensive shit; "Slaves! Built the pyramids....Slaves! Built the Parthenon"; Tyler, "America's Most Perfect Child"; Potty Mouth, the kid whose mouth is an actual toilet that spews out endless profanity;

A Wonder Showzen greatest hits, courtesy of Youtube, that has no embed code unfortunately

I'm guessing MTV has stuck the proverbial fork in this one, which is a shame of Cloverfield-monster magnitude. More staged dating shows and kill-me-now Hills spinoffs, but no more subversive, hilarious, button-pushing shit like Wonder Showzen? MTV sucks balls of the largest size.

Said large-testicles on display here....I felt so wrong for laughing at this, but I ultimately submitted to the wrong:
Photobucket

Consider me the one-man promo team for MTV to bring this show back. Two short seasons wasn't nearly enough. Or at least, bring it back rerun style. I can watch my season DVDs whenever I damn well choose, granted, but the sleeping world deserves to see this shit for themselves. Wake up time.

Photobucket


How this dude get his ass either kicked or killed at some point is beyond me.


I watched this "Patience" segment with my dad once, and even Pops Barone lost his shit.

Clarence is one of my top friends on Myspace. He'll forever remain one until he takes his page down. That's my mans and them.

4 comments:

MrJeff Dess said...

my man wonder showzen was beyond genius. i was just gonna blog about it to. lol. they had this skit with jesus using drugs and with hookers and such that i need to see. its funny i just ordered season 2 yesterday. great choice

Anonymous said...

Here here. The aforementioned jesus+hooker segment is probably my favorite, of all. That and the time we went to the chicken factory, or whatever, and listened to "maid speak". :) Miss it sooooo much.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Looks Inferior said...

Beat Kids tattoos. Half of those toes are mine :)

http://imgur.com/qtDRi