Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Descent 2 trailer hits....and doesn't have me that worried, fortunately

One of the best horror films of the post-2000 breakdown (which wouldn't feel out of place within the top five), Neil Marshall's The Descent totally holds up. Always vicious, always incredibly claustrophobic. Still shows off some of the genre's most patient and carefully drawn character development in years. Earns its tragedies and painful-to-watch deaths. The last act remains as white-knuckle as it gets.

Not to mention, it never feels less than "just right," story wise. Ends on the best possible note (I'm referring to the uncut original ending here). So the fact that there's an unnecessary sequel on the horizon isn't the most comforting news. Marshall is only involved on the production end, but then again, one of the sequel's screenwriters is James Watkins, who really impressed me with his writing-directing victory Eden Lake, a sadly underappreciated brutality-exhibition. And I've always preferred sequels that directly continue the story established in their predecessors, as this one seems to do.

This newly-dropped trailer looks much more solid than expected, too. Looks like my pessimism is being called into question now. I mean, this could very well end up sucking and only proving my initial doubts to be valid, but I'm all for giving this one a fair shake.

The Descent 2


Most joyous aspect of this part-two: The first film's secret weapon has returned, gloriously....Natalie Mendoza, as "Juno." No clue how they'll explain her still being alive and all, since The Descent's ending clearly showed that she was about to enter You're Fucked City. But after seeing The Descent, though, I'd developed one hell of a thing for the woman; unfortunately, she's yet to pop up in anything else since.

Photobucket
Photobucket

I welcome her back with open arms....and a double shot of love. No Ikkis.

No comments: